It’s the most wonderful time of the year.
Yep, Back to School season has begun.
Not only do I love when all of the cherished children in my life are required to be somewhere else for 8 hours of the day (and I really do love this), but also I get so pumped by the sense of anticipation that comes with a new school year. It’s like your soul glimpses a neon sign blazing amidst the darkness. And that sign says, “Anything is possible.” And your soul shouts back, “Fuck yes!” And you suddenly recognize all of your potential and you embrace your new, personal mantra — “I’m possible.” Because you finally believe that, just like Kimmy Schmidt, you are unbreakable.
All. Of. That.
Plus, new office supplies…
So in the spirit of this renewed sense of possibility, let’s make a commitment to taking care of our selves. I mean, really taking care of ourselves — mind, body and spirit.
Here are 10 of my favorite self-care tips to get you started:
- De-Clutter your social media. Take any negative messages out of your feeds. You don’t have to delete people, but you can mute them.
- Get 15 minutes of sunshine. Exposure to sunlight increases your brain’s production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that lifts your mood.
- Go on a “Beauty Scavenger Hunt.” Find five unexpected beautiful things on your way to work.
- Keep your mind in fighting shape. Read a book. Do the crossword puzzle or sudoku. Host a game night. Create a habit that uses your brain.
- Make one small change to your diet for the week. Drink an extra glass of water each day, or have an extra portion of veggies each meal.
- Have a self-date. Spend an hour alone doing something that nourishes you (reading, your hobby, visiting a museum or gallery, etc.)
- Scratch off a lurker on your to-do list, something that’s been there for ages, yet you never do.
- Take a quick nap. Ten to twenty minutes can reduce your sleep debt and leave you ready for action.
- Exercise a signature strength. Think about what you’re good at, and find an opportunity for it today.
- Unplug for an hour. Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from the constant bings of social media and email.